3-14 August 2015
HR Wallingford, UK
The offshore renewable energy summer school is a two-week course hosted by HR Wallingford and is delivered at the end of year one of the Edinburgh / Strathclyde / Exeter Industrial Doctorate Centre in Offshore Renewable Energy (IDCORE) programme. The first summer school in this series was held at HR Wallingford in 2012, attended by post graduate students from the IDCORE programme. From 2013, the course has been open to bookings from other students and professionals with the added flexibility of attending either the full course, or selected modules. The summer school is designed to deliver an industry focused course that aims to expand and sustain a community of high-quality staff for the UK offshore renewable energy industry.
The course has been accredited by IMarEST for Continuing Professional Development and uses taught sessions, case studies and hands-on activities delivered by industry experts. Full details on the course and all modules can be found on our website but as a guide;
Week one outlines site selection procedures, environmental assessments and noise modelling, computational modelling (TELEMAC and SWAN) and maritime engineering.
Week two covers wave forces on structures, marine scour and sediment, and includes a day spent on practical exercises in our physical modelling laboratory and navigation simulation facilities.
At the end of the course participants will have:
- appreciation of the wide range of issues relating to offshore renewables, and of initial site selection;
- hands on experience of running TELEMAC computational flow and SWAN wave models for resource assessment and design;
- knowledge and application methods for determining forces on offshore / nearshore structures;
- an understanding of environmental legislation and assessments;
- an understanding of key engineering issues, construction methods and equipment; knowledge on specific issues of sediments and scour around offshore structures.
Information on the course content and fees are detailed on our website at http://training.hrwallingford.com
There are a limited number of discounted places for the full two-week course available on application for those in full time UK education, for further details please contact [email protected].